Saturday, April 25, 2009

R.I.P. Beatrice Arthur

The indomitable Bea Arthur passed away this morning from an ongoing struggle with cancer.

To me, she will always be Dorothy, one of those crazy Golden Girls.

I loved her sarcasm, her shrewishness, her sharp-witted, sharp-tongued barbs as Dorothy. As a child, whenever I watched "The Golden Girls," I was fascinated. I didn't really know any old white people, and the fact that so many of them lived together without a man in the house ... wow!

Dorothy and Sophia were my favorites, by far. They were endearing despite (or perhaps because of) their many faults.

Bea Arther, thank you for all those memories.

2 comments:

Amanda April 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

I remember reading an article describing THE GOLDEN GIRLS as the first SEX AND THE CITY. Four single women sitting around bitching about men and sex.

Yep.

Jeanny April 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

That's true, I never thought of that before!

I miss "The Golden Girls." Need to see if Lifetime or something has re-runs playing.