Friday, April 03, 2009

Friday Furloughs...?

I am baffled.

For the past two months or so, traffic has been less disgusting on Fridays.

The first couple of weeks that this happened, I chalked it up to the Friday furloughs instigated by the Governator. I thought, "Wow, I didn't know so many government workers have the same commute as I do."

The furloughs reported ended in the beginning of March, so I resigned myself to going back to the hour-long drive that is the norm Mondays through Thursdays.

It is now April, a month after the furloughs supposedly stopped, and traffic is still noticeably better on Fridays.

I had a meeting this morning at 9:00, which means I should be at work by 8:45. I left the house at 7:30, fully expecting an hour's worth of road rage.

At 8:10, I was off the freeway, wondering what to do with myself. (I went to the post office and then bought lunch at Subway, pretty much the only two places open that early.)

Is this just a sign of the bad economy? People slacking off on Fridays? Hush-hush furloughs that I don't know about? A sign of the apocalypse? Getting from one end of L.A. county to the other end in less than an hour is surely at least a hint of apocalyptic events about to unfold.

Whatever the case, I'll enjoy this while I can.

0 comments: