Thursday, April 23, 2009

My "Duh" Moment

This morning, I went to the Bridge Cinema with several people from work. We went to look at some stereoscopic stuff-- very logical, as we are working on a stereoscopic movie (why can't I stop linking to that website??).

While I'm sitting in a dark theatre at 9:30 in the morning, it occurs to me. I work on movies.

I've known for years that I work on films. Really, I do. I've watched them, once completed, and seen my name in the credits. Intellectually, easy.

But while I'm actually working, it doesn't really ever occur to me that all those bits and pieces are really, truly going to get put together and printed thousands of times and shipped all over the world so that the general public can watch what I've been looking at for months and months. There's a huge disconnect between the present and the far-off future of buying movie tickets, popcorn, and Swedish Fish.

I don't even know how to explain it. Maybe it was the combination of wearing stereoscopic glasses, early-morning grogginess, and drinking a large vanilla latte that forced my brain to accept and realize this new (yet old) truth. Something just ... coalesced today. In my head.

I don't have the words to adequately describe what I felt, what I still feel. I think that's really a combination of my inability to write and my extreme fatigue.

I wanted to write this post so that years from now, when I'm sick(er) of this industry and moaning and groaning, I can look back and remember this odd feeling.

0 comments: