Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Korean "Holiday": Black Day

Remember back in March, when it was White Day? Well, yesterday was Black Day.

What is black day? It's certainly not a day where people wear black.

It's a day for singletons.

Women give men gifts on Valentine's day, generally chocolate, and men give women gifts on White Day a month later, generally candy.

Black Day is when the men and women that were overlooked on Valentine's and White Days band together and form a sassy, secretly sad group to eat jjajangmyeon (짜장면), noodles in black sauce. See the black there? Black like the loneliness in single peoples' souls?

They also drink hearty, as far as I can tell. Although ... any given Korean group drinks hearty.

Jjajangmyeon is delicious and one of my all-time favorites, so Black Day is a nice excuse to partake. Not yesterday, though, because I worked late, so late that all the Chinese-Korean restaurants near my house were closed.

Anyways, happy belated Black Day!















Today is a black day in the U.S., I think, because taxes are due. RIGHT NOW. This is the first year ever that I have filed for an extension. I hope they don't audit me.

2 comments:

william April 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

i completely forgot that it was black day. i read your post and muttered out loud, "yesterday was black day! i didn't get to eat jjajangmyeon!" diana quickly noted that i was NOT SINGLE.

dammit.

any excuse to eat carbs.

Jeanny April 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

Carbs are delicious. Especially jjajangmyeon-type carbs!

I still have yet to eat for Black Day, but I will and I will use Black Day as the excuse for eating an entire bowlful of carbs.