Sunday, March 29, 2009

Baseball? What Baseball??

Since apparently the Korean men want to continue disappointing me, thank goodness at least one Korean woman is stepping up and getting it done.

Kim Yu-Na (김연아) won the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships tonight (Saturday night) here in L.A.

Big, big congratulations are in order for the 18-year-old (!!), as she broke a few records (best short program score, first woman to break 200 points with her combined short and free skate scores) and took the gold with a huge margin over second place, over 15 points.

She is most definitely the favorite for next year's Olympics, and I can't wait to watch how she does. 18 is a tough age, when things are very much in flux, so I'm hoping that 19, 20, and beyond prove to show an even better, more mature skater.




















I am working so much lately that it's all I can do to make it through a couple hours of TV, which, when watched on a DVR, is about an hour of a half of TV. I wanted to watch the Worlds before someone spoiled it and told me who won, so I came home and watched, my mother providing always entertaining commentary. (Mom thinks Mao Asada has the weirdest earlobes ever.)

On a side note, it really bothers me that 연아 spells her name "Yu-Na," which looks as though it should be pronounced "Yoo-Na." Scott Hamilton, Bob Costas, Michelle Kwan, and Dick Button were all calling her "Yoo-Na." Her name is pronounced "Yeon-Ah," and even though it may seem like a subtle difference in English, it's quite a pronounced difference in Korean.

Please don't call her "Yoo-Na," because there is a famous Yoon-Ah already, one of the (forty-seven) members of Girl's Generation (소녀시대), and I really don't like her. I'm not even going to get into how she was the most hideously miscast character in a Korean drama that I almost loved (almost because she RUINED it), "2 Outs in the 9th Inning" (sometimes called "9 Ends, 2 Outs" 9회말 2아웃).

Lip-synching drama-killer: Yoon-Ah.
Figure skater that could win Korea's first Olympic medal: Yeon-Ah!

I feel much better about Korea taking the silver in the World Baseball Classic now.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  April 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

i like Yu-na.
Mao Asada's earlobes are so cute :D

Jeanny April 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Hi Anonymous,

Yu-Na is the best!

I haven't really noticed Mao Asada's earlobes, but now that you mention it, I'll be on the outlook. :)