Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tender Greens, Culver City

Tender Greens, Culver City
9523 Culver Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232


Telephone: 310.842.8300

Sunday - Thursday:
11:30 am - 9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday:
11:30 am - 10:00 pm


I ended up at work quite late tonight, almost until midnight. So dinner came from a restaurant close by (if you read my post about M Cafe de Chaya, you'll notice the addresses are super close together) called Tender Greens.

Isn't the name just so cute?? Tender Greens, like little baby pea shoots or delicate young butter lettuce.

The food is honest and simple and clean, which is a refreshing change from the fussiness that seems to dominate too many L.A. area eateries. It's nice to actually taste the ingredients, see that the meal is made up of just a handful of items.

Tender Greens doesn't have an extensive menu, but they are of the "quality, not quantity" mindset, which I like. They have salads, a few hot entrees that can be eaten as sandwiches or de-constructed, with mashed potatoes instead of sandwich bread, and some desserts. Nothing much going on there.

I think, though, that if a restaurant specializes in simple cuisine, it makes it just horribly apparent when/if that food is cooked incorrectly or not seasoned well. It's definitely an admirable point that I've never had so much as a wilted piece of lettuce from Tender Greens.

I love potatoes. I always have, and I hope I always will. They are delicious and versatile and full of starchy, carby goodness. (Turns out, my uncle that's here right now is also a huge fan of potatoes. He and my mom told me that it comes from their mother, my maternal grandmother. Genetics!)

The Yukon Gold mashed potatoes at Tender Greens make me melt into a pile of buttery goo. They are so. dang. good. Thank you for the potatoey yumminess, Tender Greens!






Despite the long hours, I still appreciated Tender Greens and their good grub.

I'll definitely go back, hopefully for lunch during normal daylight hours!

2 comments:

ate February 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

A few days ago, I invited my friend to have dinner in a recently opened Korean resto just some kilometers away from my village.

It wasn't my first time to eat korean food but I'd only order food that were popular such as kimbap (all varieties), chapchae, most banchan dishes including kimchi, and my personal favorite kalbichim.

After reading all your posts under "food" we decided to try some of what you wrote and a few more as suggested by the Korean-owner.

The result?

We voted Korean food as #3 in our list bumping off Italian (and carb rich food) down to #4.

Jeanny February 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

Yay!!

Don't get me wrong, I love love LOVE Italian food, but I would die without Korean food!

So glad you went out on a limb and it was successful!