Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hibernation

I've been in a state of deep and dopey drowsiness lately. I can't seem to help it. I sleep a lot, about eight hours a night, and my body refuses to wake up before those eight hours are up.

I have these spots on my body that ache as though bruised, but when I examine myself, I have no bruises. The small of my back, my shoulder blades, the sides of my arms and legs- all mysteriously tender, making me yelp when I brush up against a pillow.

I don't know if I'm getting sick or if this is the effect that coming off the Master Cleanse is having on me, but it ain't fun.

Contrary to what critics have written, I have not gone off the deep end and started eating everything in sight. I have remained a pretty good vegetarian (technically, an ovo-lacto-pescetarian) and not had any processed or overly-sugary food since coming off the cleanse. I even tried to stagger my way back into eating a normal amount of food:

Friday, 10/23 (the day after my last day on the cleanse): 335 calories
Saturday, 10/24: 638 calories
Sunday, 10/25: 594 calories
Monday, 10/26: 888 calories
Tuesday, 10/27: 1,056 calories

Okay, maybe I'm not very consistent in the amount of food I'm consuming (what happened on Saturday, for instance? Ate an obscene amount of pineapples, that's what- it was the first day I was active and running around and I couldn't help myself), but I'm getting there.

What with all the care that I am taking, I really don't understand the aching and the sleeping.

I'm going to attribute it all to the insane weather we've been having lately. I know that L.A.'s version of "insane" is pretty lame for people who live in "real" weather, but for us, it's been positively crazy! The wind was so strong yesterday that one of the palm trees at work collapsed. Got knocked over, right on top of one of the security buildings.

Not a typhoon, certainly, but we're delicate flowers out here and aren't at all used to the weather being mean to us. Boo wind.

I just realized that I've been working a lot more than usual, as well, and that's probably adding to my problems. It's sad that I don't realize that I'm working a lot until I stop to think about it, even though it's pitch black by the time I leave this building. I've been trying to leave by 9:00, and mostly succeeding (hooray! I think...?).

Halloween needs to come back some other time; I'm not ready for it yet. I don't want to celebrate it at all this year. I think I'll actually stay home and pass out candy to trick-or-treaters instead of getting dressed up and partying like a 20-year-old. I haven't had a drink in three weeks, I will not be able to handle Halloween liquor.

My mother and roommate have both reported that the weight lost during the cleanse is gained back, though not all of it, so I'm mentally preparing myself for the horror when I step on the scale this weekend. Halloween candy is most definitely OUT this year!

0 comments: