Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stuffed, Southern-Style

It's my uncle's birthday tomorrow (the one staying with us for a month) so we decided to celebrate today!

We (the father, mother, uncle, and two daughters) decided to go to my dad's current favorite restaurant, Lucille's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que. He loves barbecue, he loves Southern food, and he loves (crappy) American beer. My uncle didn't know any better, so he agreed and off we went.

We got something called a Backyard Family Feast, which the menu clearly stated would be served family-style for four or more. Which to me means that it would serve four-ish people. Maybe four fat people or five skinny-ish people. Right??

Out comes an entire rack of baby back ribs (my favorite), half a barbecued chicken (chicken is not my ideal protein (it's bland!) but it was delicious), an entire rack of giant beef ribs (I thought they were dinosaur ribs), a large bowl of macaroni and cheese, a large bowl of braised greens (excellent), four baked potatoes that were about the size of my foot, grilled corn on the cob (mercifully normal-sized), and absolutely delectable biscuits with honey butter.

The five of us, five full-grown adults, ate until we were about to pass out (while watching the Lakers LOSE like LOSERS- what the heck, Lakers?!) and still brought home three Styrofoam containers and four lidded cups of leftovers.

Wow, Lucille's. Which of your four customers can eat all that food in one sitting??

It was delicious, though. My Korean family is oddly very Southern. We all love kale and collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and buttermilk biscuits. My uncle was delighted and we managed to sneakily pay the check while he was off in the bathroom (Koreans fight- FIGHT- over who gets to pay the check. Unless it's my parents. They just look at us expectantly).











Yummmmmmmmmm.

Because we're all pigs, we also came home and had ice cream cake with coffee.

Overall, a satisfying food day that's managed to put everyone in a food coma. I've only just held on because I wanted to watch "My Name is Kim Sam-Soon," which comes on at the ridiculous time of 10:10 p.m. I've watched, I've laughed, I've tsk'ed some stupid decisions, and now I'm off to bed. To resist the deep sleep of barbecue-induced exhaustion is futile!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  February 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM  

i wrote a post about that one time my family of five (and my sister's bf) went to pappasito's cantina, a tex-mex restaurant in houston. my sister ordered the 'fiesta' which sounded innocent enough. until the entire farm ended up dead on our table. seriously. it was a crazy amount of food.

who needs all that food? okay, so maybe your post on lucille's is leaving me dripping with saliva, but still. ridiculous. who needs to order that much food? americans, that's who.

how much was your feast, by the way? just curious.

~w

Jeanny February 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM  

Yum, fiesta!

Most of the family had barbecue for breakfast and dinner today. And there's still some left!

It was about $130 or so, including a bottle of wine (no crappy American beer for once!), tax, and tip. Not bad for enough food to feed "four."