Monday, June 01, 2009

ARTWALK Culver City 2009

Artwalks are an interesting concept: self-guided tours to see art throughout a city/region.

ARTWALK Culver City is, obviously, Culver City's version of the artwalk. I believe there were 44 exhibition spaces this year, mostly right near downtown Culver City. "Downtown" is a big word for the area described- it's really about a three-block-length street with shops, restaurants, and bars on either side.

This event happened on Saturday, May 31, from 12:00 to 8:00. Guess where I was between those hours?? That's right, work.

Since I wasn't able to go to the artwalk, I thought going to the after party would be the next best thing. Plus, I love any reason to go to Royal/T.

The funny part of Saturday night was that it turned into a mini-pub crawl, because places in Culver City close at strange hours. I love Culver City for having everything in one central location, because I left my car at work and walked. Here's the path we took:

1. Royal/T (closed at 10:30 p.m. We had wine and partied in a Porta-Party)
8910 Washington Boulevard

2. Ford's Filling Station (closed at 11:00 p.m. We stayed until 11:20 or so)
9531 Culver Boulevard

3. Fraiche (was closed, so we walked in ... and then walked out)
9411 Culver Boulevard

4. The Culver Hotel (we just missed last call, so off we went, talking about the Munchkins that had stayed at the Culver Hotel during the filming of "The Wizard of Oz." I heard they had some craaaazy parties!)
9400 Culver Boulevard

5. Rush Street (the ol' standby! Unfortunately, some of the boys were wearing flip-flops and didn't meet the dress code. Ugggggghhhhh.)
9546 Washington Boulevard

6. Gyenari (had a drink, had a laugh)
9540 Washington Boulevard

It was strange but fun. Next year, if I'm still in this city, I hope I get to actually see the art instead of just doing for the party after all the art's been safely put away.

0 comments: