Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweetish Sid

I am not a huge fan of the Sex Pistols. In fact, I'm not a fan at all. (Yes, it's true.)

I have very eclectic taste in music, thanks to my parents (Mom grew up a classical pianist and Dad rebelled by rocking out on drums and guitar) and their opposing aesthetics. I grew up listening to music that my parents listened to (C'est Si Bon, notably- my sister I could sing duets to a few of the members' songs starting in young childhood), lots of classical music (Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, the like), random popular music from the 60's (Nana Mouskouri, anyone?), my dad's "devil music" (the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Tom Jones, the Beach Boys), and then the music that my sister and I grew up with (including Britney. Don't judge).

I mention all this because I stumbled across a note written by Sid Vicious about his then-girlfriend, Nancy Spungen. Here's the note before I taint it with my opinion:


What makes Nancy So Great By Sidney

1  Beautiful
2  Sexy
3  Beautiful figure
4  Great sense of humour
5  Makes extremely interesting conversation
6  Witty
7  Has beautiful eyes
8  Has fab taste in clothes
9  Has the most beautiful wet p---y in the world
10  Even has sexy feet
11  Is extremely smart
12 A great Hustler


It's rather sweet, in a very childish way. The simplest, most superficial things are written down. I think the reason I found it rather touching is because it served as a reminder that Sid Vicious, for all his infamy and legend, was just 21 when he died. He didn't know to look for companionship. He didn't want a woman who would be a good mother to his children. He wanted something beautiful, someone that kept him entertained.

That's perfectly acceptable and understandable for a 21-year-old in the throes of what was his one enormous love, the love that changed his life and eventually led to his very early death. Isn't that why he's untouchable? He never got old. He never had a chance to lament his wrinkles or his gray hair or his nagging wife.

I don't know if that's an enviable thing or not. I'm sure some people would've liked that existence, to live hard, play hard, and then die early, famous for a talent that would live on well beyond one's own life.

This little note really made me think, and it made me grateful for my life. I don't have fame and fortune, it's true. But I also don't have a drug problem, a violent relationship, or insane people pushing me into an overdose.

The note had me so thoughtful that I listened to a few Sex Pistols songs. Nope. Whatever Sid's sentiments, those songs still sound like a group of feral cats trapped in a pickle jar. Oh, well, maybe they'll unearth an epic poem he wrote that'll change my mind...

2 comments:

yeon February 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

wait, i thought this was going to be about lispy schoolchildren with a hankering for red fish-shaped gummies? :( i want my money back! AND a box of aforementioned snacks!

Jeanny February 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

Hey lady, I never even said Swedish Fish!

... now I want a Swedish Fish, too ...